CBIC issued GST Circular on Applicability of GST on supply of food in Anganwadis and Schools
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Dated the 17th June, 2021
The Principal Chief Commissioners/ Chief Commissioners/ Principal Commissioners/ Commissioner of Central Tax (All) /The Principal Director Generals/ Director Generals (All)
Sub– Clarification regarding applicability of GST on supply of food in Anganwadis and Schools -reg.
Representations have been received seeking clarification regarding applicability of GST on the issues as to whether serving of food in schools under Mid-Day Meals Scheme would be exempt if such supplies are funded by government grants and/or corporate donations. The issue was examined by GST Council in its 43rd meeting held on 28th May, 2021.
- Entry 66 clause (b)(ii) of notification No. 12/2017-Central Tax (Rate) dated 28th June, 2017, exempts Services provided to an educational institution, by way of catering, including any mid-day meals scheme sponsored by the Central Government, State Government or Union territory. This entry applies to pre-school and schools.
- Accordingly, as per said entry 66, any catering service provided to an educational institution is exempt from GST. The entry further mention that such exempt service includes mid- day meal service as specified in the entry. The scope of this entry is thus wide enough to cover any serving of any food to a school, including pre-school. Further, an Anganwadi interalia provides pre-school non- formal education. Hence, aganwadi is covered by the definition of educational institution (as pre-school)
- Accordingly, as per recommendation of the GST Council, it is clarified that services provided to an educational institution by way of serving of food ( catering including mid- day meals) is exempt from levy of GST irrespective of its funding from government grants or corporate donations [under said entry 66 (b)(ii)]. Educational institutions as defined in the notification include aganwadi. Hence, serving of food to anganwadi shall also be covered by said exemption, whether sponsored by government or through donation from corporates.
- Difficulty if any, in the implementation of this circular may be brought to the notice of the Board.
Under Secretary, TRU
Disclaimer:The article or blog or post (by whatever name) in this website is based on the writer’s personal views and interpretation of Act. The writer does not accept any liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of information and for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
Also, www.babatax.com and its members do not accept any liability, obligation or responsibility for author’s article and understanding of user.
For Advertising with us-
- Mail us at [email protected]
- Whatsapp us at +91-7024984925