Income tax return: Proper filing of Income Tax Return require proper maintenance of records. Making of balance sheet and profit loss is utmost important. Filing of ITR 3 and ITR 4 requires the details of Profit and loss A/C and Balance in the Format provided in the Income Tax Utility Forms. Every business is supposed to make Profit and loss and Balance Sheet at the end of the financial year. However, it is advisable for everyone to prepare capital account or Profit loss account and balance sheet for every individual.
Profit and Loss for Income Tax Return
P&L account takes revenues into account for a specific period. It also records any expenses or costs incurred by these revenues. Guidelines for preparation of Profit and Loss are:-
If the ordinary business is other than finance, disclose revenue generated from sale of products, sale of services, other operating revenues or other Income on Credit side of P/L Account .
In case ordinary business is of finance nature, disclose the revenue from interest and financial services which includes interest, financial service fee and net gain/loss on foreign currency transactions.
It will Purchase of raw material, goods for trading, work-in-progress goods, Consumption of stores and spare parts, etc
3. Exempt supply
If selling of goods and service is exempted from GST then any GST levied on the input supply shall be added to the cost.
General list of expenses-
- Employee Benefits Expense (salaries and wages, contribution to provident and other funds, staff welfare expenses).
- Depreciation and amortization,
- Interest expense,
- Net loss on sale of investments,
- Net loss on foreign currency transaction (other than considered as finance cost),
- Payments to the auditor as Audit Fee, for taxation matters, Certification fee or for other service.
- Power and fuel, Rent, Repairs to buildings, Repairs to machinery, Insurance, Rates and taxes, excluding taxes on income
- Other Miscellaneous expenses are included as expenses.
Penalties paid for contravening provisions under any Law are not allowed as deduction from P/L account.
Always disclose the turnover which is disclosed in Goods and Service Tax or GST Returns. Any inconsistencies may bring notices for you. Read More : GST Turnover v/s Income Tax Turnover
Balance Sheet for ITR
Balance sheet is a summary of the financial balances of an individual or organization, whether it be a sole proprietorship, a business partnership, corporation, private limited company or other organization. It contains Assets, liabilities and capital at the end of its financial year.
Guidelines for preparation of Balance sheet are:-
1. Classification of Current Asset and Fixed Asset
Classification is based on operating Cycle which means time between acquisitions of an asset till conversion of that asset into cash.
- If the operating cycle of asset is 12 months or less.
- If the asset is held for the purpose of sale or trade or earn speculation profit.
- Also, if the asset in the form of cash or cash equivalent or in the most liquid able form for at least 12 months after the reporting date.
- Like Stock in trade, Debtors etc
If not than the asset shall be classified as non-current assets or Fixed assets.
2. Classification of Current and Non current Liabilities
- If the liability is expected to mature or expire or settle or due within 12 months.
- If the liability is held for the purpose of sale or trade or earn speculation profit.
- Like Bank Over draft etc
If not than the liability shall be classified as non-current liability.
3. TDS or TCS
If TDS or TCS standing in last year balance sheet, one must check whether it has been refunded or receipt. Read Also: TDS rate chart applicable for FY 2021-22 (AY 2022-23)
4. Income or Expense Accrued
Any Income which is earned like FD interest but not received shall stand in Asset side of balance sheet. Likewise any expense accrued but not paid like TDS liability shall stand in liability side of Balance sheet.
5. Land purchased
Land shall stand in Balance sheet. The Land value shall be the sum of stamp duty value, stamp duty and any other duty or fee paid.
6. Loan for Asset
If any loan is taken to acquire any fixed asset, then the interest accrued till date of put to use shall be capitalized.
Other Important Points Balance Sheet and Profit loss under Income Tax.
Donation to political party is disallowed but you can take the deduction from the capital account.
2. Sale of agriculture land
Profit from sale of agriculture land is neither the business profit nor it is capital gain. It is exempt but it must be shown in Income Tax Return.
3. Mistake identified in next year
If we identify any mistake of any earlier year, we generally try to correct the old accounts where we get caught by the Software. It is advisable to never touch the fixed asset or cash balance as their closing balances are carry forward to next year.
Get Daily Updates in Hindi & English
For ITR filing or any Income Tax Consultancy, whatsapp us at +917024984925.
The author of above article is Riya Thawani.
Disclaimer:The article or blog or post (by whatever name) in this website is based on the writer’s personal views and interpretation of Act. The writer does not accept any liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of information and for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
Also, www.babatax.com and its members do not accept any liability, obligation or responsibility for author’s article and understanding of user.
For Collaborating with us-
- Mail us at [email protected]
- Whatsapp us at +91-7024984925