Summary of 36th GST Council Meeting held on 27 July
The GST Council chaired by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman meet for the 36th time on 27th July via video-conferencing. The meeting was proposed to be held on 25th July, 2019 but postponed to 27th July, 2019.
The following is summarized from the GST Council meet:
- The GST rate on all electric vehicles (EVs) has been reduced from 12 per cent to 5 per cent.
- The tax rate on chargers or charging stations for EVs has been slashed from 18 per cent to 5 per cent.
- The council also approved GST exemption for hiring of electric buses (of carrying capacity of more than 12 passengers) by local authorities from August 1, the statement said.
- The new Goods and Services Tax (GST) rate on EVs will be effective from August 1.
It also took certain decisions regarding changes in GST law which are as follows:-.
- The last date for filing of intimation, in Form GST CMP-02, for availing the option of payment of tax (by exclusive supplier of services) has been extended from July 31 to September 30.
- The last date for furnishing statement containing the details of the self-assessed tax in Form GST CMP-08 for the June quarter (by taxpayers under composition scheme) has been extended to August 31. The earlier deadline was July 31, 2019.
The notification for the same is produced below:
36th GST Council Meeting, New Delhi
27th July, 2019
In the meeting held today, that is 27th July, 2019, the Council has recommended :-
1. Reduction in the GST rate on supply of goods and services :
- The GST rate on all electric vehicles be reduced from 12% to 5%.
- The GST rate on charger or charging stations for Electric vehicles be reduced from 18% to 5%.
- Hiring of electric buses (of carrying capacity of more than 12 passengers) by local authorities be exempted from GST.
- These changes shall become effective from 1st August,
2. Changes in GST law:
- Last date for filing of intimation, in FORM GST CMP-02, for availing the option of payment of tax under notification No. 2/2019-Central Tax (Rate) dated 07.03.2019 (by exclusive supplier of services), to be extended from 31.07.2019 to 30.09.2019.
- The last date for furnishing statement containing the details of the self-assessed tax in FORM GST CMP-08 for the quarter April, 2019 to June, 2019 (by taxpayers under composition scheme), to be extended from 31.07.2019 to 08.2019.
(Note: The recommendations of the GST Council have been presented in this release in simple language for information of all stakeholders. The same would be given effect through relevant Circulars/Notifications which alone shall have the force of law.)