Tax Challan Correction online functionality launched in Income tax portal

Tax Challan Correction online

Tax Challan Correction online functionality: Many a times, while paying the Income tax, the taxpayers make the various mistakes in their Tax Challan like mentioning wrong Assessment year, depositing amount in wronghead, mentioning wrong amount, wrong PAN/ TAN etc. Previously, there was no online facility for making corrections in tax challan. But now the Income Tax Department has launched the New Functionality in Income tax portal for Challan Correction.

For accessing this, please follow the following step :

Step 1: Login the Income Tax Portal

Step 2: Click on Services from the Menu Bar

Step 3: Select Challan Correction

For Challan pertaining to A.Y. 2020-21 onwards, using this Functionality for online Tax Challan correction we can:

1. Change in Assessment Year (A.Y.)
2. Change in Tax Applicable (Major Head)
3. Change in Type of Payment (Minor Head)

Read Also: Life Insurance Premium above Rs 5 lakh – Check Income Tax New Rules

Correction of error-tax payments made at the branch of a bank

In the case of the following errors, the bank branch accepting the tax payments are permitted to correct the challan data and in the time frame mentioned below:

  • Amount of tax – within 7 days from the deposit of challan
  • Assessment year – within 7 days from the deposit of challan
  • Major head code – within 3 months from the deposit of challan
  • Minor head code – within 3 months from the deposit of challan
  • PAN of the taxpayer – within 7 days from the deposit of challan
  • Nature of payment – within 3 months from the deposit of challan

Hence, a taxpayer has to make an application for correction within the time period mentioned above. The procedure for making the correction at the bank branch is:

  • Fill up a request for correction form at the bank branch which accepted the initial tax payment. Retain an acknowledged copy of the request letter filed.
  • Submit the original counterfoil of challan paid along with the request and a copy of your PAN card.

Read Also: No ITR refund until you verify the Income Tax Return

In case you miss filing a request for challan correction within the time mentioned above, you have to contact your jurisdictional assessing officer and place a request for correction with their office. The banks are allowed to make the changes only subject to certain conditions:

  • Banks will not make corrections in the name of the taxpayer.
  • Both minor head and assessment year are not allowed to be corrected at the same time.
  • A correction in the PAN or TAN is allowed only if the name in the earlier PAN or TAN matches with the name in the corrected PAN or TAN.
  • The amount of tax can be corrected only if the corrected amount is the same as received by the bank under the original challan.
  • Corrections are allowed only once for a particular field. A field once corrected cannot be corrected for a second time.
  • There is either a complete correction of all the requested fields or rejection. If even one of the fields fails the correction criteria, the entire request is rejected.

Read Also: Income Tax Payment with PhonePe app started

Disclaimer: The article or blog or post (by whatever name) in this website is based on the writer’s personal views and interpretation of Act. The writer does not accept any liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of information and for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
Also, and its members do not accept any liability, obligation or responsibility for author’s article and understanding of user.

For Collaborating with us-

Tags: Uncategorized

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed