Tax Challan Correction online functionality: Many a times, while paying the Income tax, the taxpayers make the various mistakes in their Tax Challan like mentioning wrong Assessment year, depositing amount in wronghead, mentioning wrong amount, wrong PAN/ TAN etc. Previously, there was no online facility for making corrections in tax challan. But now the Income Tax Department has launched the New Functionality in Income tax portal for Challan Correction.
For accessing this, please follow the following step :
Step 1: Login the Income Tax Portal
Step 2: Click on Services from the Menu Bar
Step 3: Select Challan Correction
For Challan pertaining to A.Y. 2020-21 onwards, using this Functionality for online Tax Challan correction we can:
1. Change in Assessment Year (A.Y.)
2. Change in Tax Applicable (Major Head)
3. Change in Type of Payment (Minor Head)
Correction of error-tax payments made at the branch of a bank
In the case of the following errors, the bank branch accepting the tax payments are permitted to correct the challan data and in the time frame mentioned below:
- Amount of tax – within 7 days from the deposit of challan
- Assessment year – within 7 days from the deposit of challan
- Major head code – within 3 months from the deposit of challan
- Minor head code – within 3 months from the deposit of challan
- PAN of the taxpayer – within 7 days from the deposit of challan
- Nature of payment – within 3 months from the deposit of challan
Hence, a taxpayer has to make an application for correction within the time period mentioned above. The procedure for making the correction at the bank branch is:
- Fill up a request for correction form at the bank branch which accepted the initial tax payment. Retain an acknowledged copy of the request letter filed.
- Submit the original counterfoil of challan paid along with the request and a copy of your PAN card.
In case you miss filing a request for challan correction within the time mentioned above, you have to contact your jurisdictional assessing officer and place a request for correction with their office. The banks are allowed to make the changes only subject to certain conditions:
- Banks will not make corrections in the name of the taxpayer.
- Both minor head and assessment year are not allowed to be corrected at the same time.
- A correction in the PAN or TAN is allowed only if the name in the earlier PAN or TAN matches with the name in the corrected PAN or TAN.
- The amount of tax can be corrected only if the corrected amount is the same as received by the bank under the original challan.
- Corrections are allowed only once for a particular field. A field once corrected cannot be corrected for a second time.
- There is either a complete correction of all the requested fields or rejection. If even one of the fields fails the correction criteria, the entire request is rejected.
Read Also: Income Tax Payment with PhonePe app started
Disclaimer: The article or blog or post (by whatever name) in this website is based on the writer’s personal views and interpretation of Act. The writer does not accept any liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of information and for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
Also, www.babatax.com and its members do not accept any liability, obligation or responsibility for author’s article and understanding of user.
For Collaborating with us-
- Mail us at [email protected]
- Whatsapp us at +91-7024984925